• English
    • Español

Veteran’s Affairs

Educational assistance are available to the veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and their eligible dependents. Veterans and dependents who wish to apply should contact the Veterans Affairs Office at James Sprunt Community College in person, by letter, or by phone at 910.275.6378.

A brief description of Veteran’s Education Assistance including general provisions of the program, how to apply, requested documentation, what to expect, and general contact information can be found on the form “Steps to VA” below. After all admissions requirements are complete, the veteran will be certified by the college to receive benefits. The first initial certification will take approximately 45 to 60 days to process.

Veterans Educational Assistance Programs

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

Eligibility for basic educational assistance can be established by individuals who first became members of the Armed Forces of first entered on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces after June 30, 1985 or is voluntary active duty.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

The purpose of this program is to provide eligible veterans with compensable service-connected disabilities all services ad assistance necessary to enable them to achieve maximum independence, to become employable, and to obtain and maintain suitable employment. Basic entitlement and necessity for training and rehabilitation are determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The Regional Office in Winston-Salem, NC, Vocational Rehabilitation Department notifies the veterans and the college regarding approval for training. Payment is made directly to the school for tuition and fees.

Post-Vietnam ERA Veteran’s Education Assistance (Chapter 32)

This program provides for a participatory program of educational assistance benefits to eligible veterans and service persons that entered the Armed Forces after December 31, 1976 and before July 1, 1985. The veterans may contribute a maximum of $2700 to the program. The Department of Veterans Affairs will credit an individual with one month of entitlement for each month of contribution to the fund up to a maximum of 36 months or the equivalent in part-time training.

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

This program provides VA Educational Benefits to eligible veterans for services that were performed after September 10, 2001 and active duty. Members must have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty.  However, individuals honorably discharged for a service-connected disability who served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001, may also establish eligibility. You may also transfer your Chapter 33 benefits to their children and/or spouse. This is called a transfer of entitlement.  A transfer cannot exceed 36 months to all dependents.  Tuition payments are made directly to the school.

Survivor’s and Dependent’s Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

This program assists dependents and the spouse of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability or who has a service-connected total permanent disability. The child or spouse of a person who is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces and who now is, and, for a period of 90 days, has been, listed by the Secretary as missing in action, captured in line of duty by a hostile force, or forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign power should be eligible for these benefits.

Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

The Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB) or Chapter 1606  program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607/REAP)

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015. Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019, while others are no longer eligible for REAP benefits. The Post-9/11 GI Bill in many ways has replaced REAP because it also provides educational assistance benefits for Reserve and National Guard members called to active duty on or after September 11, 2001, and in many cases provides a greater benefit than REAP.

Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)

This program provides eligible veterans with education benefits for up to 12 months of training. VRAP will provide training for programs of education that lead to a high demand occupation, as determined by the Department of Labor.

North Carolina National Guard Tuition Assistance Program

Active North Carolina National Guard members who have completed at least one year of satisfactory service in the North Carolina National Guard, and have a minimum of two years remaining as a member of the National Guard from the end of the academic period for which tuition assistance is requested may be eligible for tuition assistance. Persons desiring information or applications for this assistance should contact the Office of the Adjutant General P.O. Box 2628, Raleigh, North Carolina 27611 or call 1-800-621-4136.

Other Special Veterans Programs

Hostage Relief Act

For the Iranian hostage, spouses and children.

Omnibus Diplomatic Security and Anti-Terrorism Act of 1986

A permanent program for anyone held captive and their dependents.

Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors (REPS) (Section 156) (formerly the Quayle Amendment)

Eligibility: Payable to surviving spouses for the youngest child in their care, of the child is 16 but under 18 years of age. Also payable to an unmarried child who is 18 but under 22 years of age and who is in attendance at an approved post-secondary school.

Application for Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans may apply for VA benefits on-line at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov or by mailing in VA Form 22-1990. Veterans eligible dependents (Chapter 35) may either apply on-line or mailing in VA Form 22-5490. Persons desiring additional information concerning a particular phase of the programs described in this section should contact the Veterans Affairs Office, James Sprunt Community College, Post Office Box 398. Kenansville, NC 28349

General VA Information and Forms

Steps to VA

VA Policy and Procedures

List of Approved Programs for VA


Coverage of Previous Events

2017 Veterans Day Celebration (WITN News)


Sholanda Moore
FA/VA Specialist
Email:  smoore@jamessprunt.edu
Phone:  910-275-6378
Fax:  910-296-1314