James Sprunt Community College Scholarships (Restricted and Endowed)
A limited number of academic scholarships are awarded each year to students currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a curriculum program at James Sprunt Community College. Awards range from $250 to $1,200.
These awards are made based on scholarship criteria set forth by the donors. The criteria include, but are not limited to: academic record, community involvement, and program of study.
Recipients are selected each July for the following academic year. Students interested in applying for scholarships should submit an application online.
All items below must be submitted to the James Sprunt Foundation by the deadline of the last Friday in April to be considered complete and eligible for consideration:
1. A completed application form for James Sprunt Community College Foundation Scholarships. (The link to apply online will be available in January.)
2. An official high school and/or college transcript.
3. All applicants must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA to be eligible to apply.
The Herring Scholarship
The Herring Scholarship is a need-based scholarship that is awarded each year to students currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a curriculum program at JSCC, that reside in either Duplin County or the town of Mount Olive.
The awards are made by the Herring Scholarship Committee and members of the Herring Trustee Board, which reviews applications. The recipients are chosen based on financial need, letters of recommendation, and personal essays.
Recipients are selected each July for the following year. Students interested in applying should submit the following items:
1. A completed application for the Herring Scholarship. (The link to apply online will be available in January.)
2. Three letters of recommendation from school, business, and/or leaders in the community attesting to your character and leadership potential.
3. A 300-500 word essay (double spaced) on the people and experiences that have shaped or influenced your values and your educational and/or life goals.
4. Completed the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
5. Must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA to be eligible to apply.
The Presidential Scholarship
The Presidential Scholarship pays all tuition and fees not covered by financial aid or other scholarships for 2 consecutive academic years immediately following high school graduation for qualifying students.
• Year 1: Fall, Spring, Summer
• Year 2: Fall, Spring, Summer
(The Presidential Scholarship ends at the end of the Summer Semester of Year 2.)
Requirements to be eligible:
• Graduate from a Duplin County high school with at least a 3.0 unweighted GPA
• Complete three or more JSCC Career & College Promise classes with a ‘C’ or better during high school
• Complete a JSCC application for enrollment for the fall semester immediately following high school graduation
• Submit FAFSA and all other necessary documents
• Must be a U.S. Citizen who qualifies for in-state tuition
• Remain in good academic standing at JSCC (2.0 or higher cumulative GPA)
• Maintain completion rate of 67% or higher while a student at JSCC
• Submit FAFSA and all other necessary documents each year
• Complete at least 10 hours of documented volunteer service each Fall & Spring Semester
• If taking summer classes, complete at least 5 hours of documented volunteer service during the Summer Semester