All students applying for admission are required to take the NC-DAP placement test. Students are asked to meet 15 minutes prior to testing in the Hoffler building, Student Success Center. Students are tested in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The test is designed to assist counselors in placing students into appropriate classes based upon skill level.
James Sprunt now offers online registration for incoming students to sign up for testing. When you register for the placement test, you can select the date and time that works best with your schedule. You will need your Admissions letter information to be able to register.
Register for the Placement Test
Students Exempt From Testing
Students who have previously taken the ASSET, COMPASS, or ACCUPLACER test within five years may request that the official score report be sent to the JSCC admissions office. Test scores over five years old are not accepted.
- Special students (those not working toward a diploma or degree) may take up to 12 credit hours in areas other than math and English before being tested.
- Students who have obtained an Associate degree or higher are exempt from testing.
- Testing is not required for students with satisfactory SAT or ACT Reading, Writing and Math scores that are no more than five years old. See “Course Placement Guide” for required scores .
- Students will not be tested more than twice in a 12-month period, and 6 months must elapse between the two test dates.
- Students that are recent graduates of a NC high school, have an unweighted GPA of 2.6 or greater, and have taken a 4 th level Math course may be exempt. See “Multiple Measures for Placement ” for more information.
To request placement test scores, download the Placement Test Scores Request Form (pdf) , complete and return to:
James Sprunt Community College
PO Box 398
Kenansville, NC 28349
Fax (910) 296‐1222