Educational Talent Search (ETS), a federally funded TRIO program of the U.S. Department of Education, is designed to assist participants in reaching their academic potential. The program assists students who meet federal income guidelines and those who may be the first in their families to go to college. The services of ETS are intended to support those selected students in the target schools of Duplin County, North Carolina.
While the ETS staff is employed through James Sprunt Community College, the program is not used as a recruitment tool for the college. Rather, participants receive assistance in applying to any college, university or other qualified institution of post-secondary education.
The following goals guide the work of the ETS staff:
- Identify, recruit, and select participants who have the potential to succeed in completing high school or GED programs, as well as post- secondary education
- Familiarize participants with the college selection, admissions and financial aid application processes
- Assess and guide participants’ interests in professional careers
- Teach participants to use state-of-the-art technology to explore careers and colleges, and to improve their school performance
- Provide experiences that will enhance participants’ intellectual, cultural, financial, social and personal development
- Motivate participants to maximize their academic and personal potential